Causes and Treatment for Gum Disease in Sugar Land
People sometimes think that bleeding gums during brushing are quite usual, but sometimes it can be an indication of something serious. Swollen and bleeding gums are early symptoms of infection in the gums that could lead to gum disease. Avalon Dental Group offers services to treat gum problems to prevent further dental complications.
Gum disease is the inflammation of the gumline that could affect the bone and ligament that supports the teeth. The condition can be painless which makes it unnoticeable, but there are symptoms associated with it, such as:
- Swollen, tender and bleeding gums
- Receding Gums
- Loose teeth
- Visible pus surrounding the teeth and gums
Causes of Gum Disease
- Plaque is the most common cause of gum disease. It forms when bacteria combines with the saliva and turns it into a thick film that builds up on the teeth. Bacteria in plaque has the capability to turn food debris into acids that are harmful to the teeth.
- The chemicals from tobacco and cigarettes interfere with the normal function tissue cells which make the mouth prone to infections.
- NUTRITIONAL DEFICIENCIES
- Nutrients play an essential role in dental health and overall health of a person. Not getting the appropriate nutrients especially vitamin C could be harmful to the gums. Consumption of carbohydrates and foods that are high in sugar and low in water contributes to gum problems.
- CROOKED TEETH
- Teeth that overlap or crooked create a breeding grounds for bacteria in the gums. The misalignment produces spaces which can be a home for plaques or tartar.
Treatment for Gum Disease
SCALING AND ROOT PLANING
Scaling and root planing (SRP) is a non-surgical treatment for gum disease. The procedure involves scraping and removing the plaque and tartar in the teeth and root surfaces. After eliminating the plaques and cleaning the teeth, the roughness on the roots is smoothened to prevent the bacteria from building up again. The process takes multiple visits, and local anesthetics can be used to eliminate discomfort.
If you experience early signs of gum disease, like your sudden bleeding of gums, bad breath, loss teeth or separate teeth, contact our office at Avalon Dental Group for Periodontal Treatment in Sugar Land.
Posted on behalf of
2225 Williams Trace Blvd, Suite 111
Sugar Land, TX 77478
Phone: (281) 240-5559
Email: [email protected]